The firm of Lawson Coull & Company was formed in 1970 following the amalgamation of the firms of J Grafton Lawson & Co and Melville Graham & Stewart and the new firm moved into offices at 136/138 Nethergate, Dundee (part of a historical terrace known as “Miln’s Building”). Shortly afterwards, Lawson Coull & Company merged with David Duncan & Son and the firm of Lawson Coull & Duncan was formed.
Miln’s Building was built on the instructions of a local builder (James Miln) around 1790. It is one of the earliest imitations modelled on the Edinburgh New Town flatted terraces but also incorporated local details. At the time of construction, the building was situated adjacent to the sea wall before the land was reclaimed to allow the formation of the railway. The building has been a Category A Listed Building since 1965. More information can be found about this at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
With contacts throughout the legal world, we are often instructed by, or receive referrals from, members of the Faculty of Advocates, Procurators Fiscal, Police Officers, the Health Boards and other professionals.
We aim to provide clients with a friendly, personal service combined with a practical approach. Our lawyers can advise on many aspects.
Our offices are centrally located, only a few minutes’ walk from the railway station, and we are proud of our close association with the nearby University of Dundee, with several of our solicitors and former partners having been graduates and/or tutors and many of the University staff as clients.